People often have the misconception that all martial arts are like tae kwon do, or karate, and are centered around punching and kicking - and that these martial arts can protect you in a real confrontation.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a self-defense system that focuses on grappling, particularly ground fighting. BJJ promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger, heavier assailant by using proper technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying control over the opponent.
Unlike other martial arts that focus on strikes and/or kicks, jiu jitsu focuses on close-contact “grappling” holds and techniques, and the application of strangulations and joint-manipulations which are highly effective on anyone.What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
- Jiujitsu presents a combination of dynamic and explosive movements with pressure-based isometric pushing, pulling, and holding, it helps to develop increased strength and cardio.
- Jiujitsu promotes weight loss and improved muscle tone.
- Jiujitsu also heightens your body awareness and improves your balance and reactive ability.
- Jiu jitsu is also an incredible mental workout. It provides the challenge of learning a new activity, with limitless variations of movements, techniques and submissions.
- Jiujitsu develops your reasoning skills, in that you are constantly planning your next step, both when you’re in an advantageous position or a defensive position.
- Jiujitsu increases your ability to think quickly and “on your feet” in response to your partner’s movements, as well as to remain calm and controlled when you find yourself in a defensive situation.
- Jiujitsu provides an outlet for the stresses of daily life. When you step on the mat, everything else is put to the side for a moment, while both your mind and body are engaged in learning jiu jitsu.
Unlike many other sports and physical activities, Jiujitsu is unique in that it can be done by anyone. Jiujitsu was designed and developed so that a smaller, weaker person can defend his or herself against, or even defeat, a larger and stronger opponent. So regardless of age, size, gender or physical limitation, any person can utilize the techniques and principals of Jiujitsu, and reap the benefits of its practice.What are the benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
- Increasing Confidence
- Self Defense
- Setting Goals and Achieving them
- Character Development such as respect and humility
- Developing a Solid Work Ethic
- Developing Problem Solving Skills
- Dealing with Challenging Situations
- Improving Health (physical and mental)
- Developing a Healthy Attitude and EgoWe offer a free trial where you are able to try out a class to check it out to see if it’s right for you or your children.Our current schedule is published on our website where you can also book your free trial.